Dental care has improved tremendously, but there are still millions of Americans who lose their teeth due to tooth decay, gum disease, or injury. Bridges and dentures used to be the only options people have in order to have their missing teeth replaced. When dental implants came, people were given a better choice. Dental implants were invented by Dr. Norman Goldberg, according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry. He got the idea from the artificial implants used to rehabilitate the injured body parts of soldiers at the Walter Reed Army Hospital. Here’s how Vegas dental implants can help people:
How Dental Implants Work
Dental implants include a treatment plan that is developed after an initial consultation with a dentist. It is usually done in four steps:
- The dental implant is placed surgically into the jawbone.
- The implant fuses with your jawbone.
- Once it bonds with the jawbone, an abutment is placed to connect the implant to the new teeth.
- An artificial tooth or dentures are then attached to the abutment.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Maintain natural shape – Bones shrink when there are missing teeth. This causes your jaw line to recede and alter your facial structure. With dental implants Vegas, your face keeps its natural shape.
- Keeps teeth healthy – Dental implants are more long-term than bridgework. They do not need grinding down on healthy teeth to replace adjacent ones. Healthy teeth are therefore not compromised.
- Improves confidence – When you lose a tooth, you become too shy to speak and eat in public. But with dental implants that are more secure than dentures, you don’t need to worry about wobbling or falling dentures.
When Do You Need Dental Implants?
If you lose a tooth and you are healthy enough for a simple oral surgery, getting dental implants is right for you. Having healthy gums and enough bone for the implant to hold on to increases the likelihood of success. However, if you have diabetes, heart disease, or have been through radiation therapy, you need to have a thorough medical evaluation to ensure safety.
How to Get Vegas Dental Implants When You are Scared of the Dentist
It is possible to feel comfortable and calm during dental implantation. Go to Vegas Smiles where the resident dentist, Dr. William Gussow, and his staff specialize in taking care of phobic patients. It’s not just dental implants they offer. They also have other cosmetic dentistry services such as CEREC same day crowns and Invisalign. If you have questions about dental implants in Vegas, call Vegas Smiles today.